The Hinterland Hack 2020 was the absolute peak of productivity and an impressive signal showing OWL’s resilience during the Covid-19 pandemic by empowering entrepreneurs with and through our B2B startup ecosystem!
From September 18-20th we had the honor to host this year’s Hinterland Hack organized by the Hinterland of Things Project Team in our Founders Home. The Hackathon was officially kicked-off with an inspiring note from our facilitator Lasse Chor (CEO & Co-Founder, Happy42), and our Co-Founder & CEO Sebastian Borek. 60 extraordinary talents with entrepreneurial mindsets and the desire to create, were divided into 12 diverse teams and ready to start solving the following predefined problems by our 6 industry challengers seeking to innovate their industries:
- Phoenix Contact | Production Processes – improving production processes to prevent micro disturbances, anomalies and alike on the basis of data!
- GOLDBECK | Information Management – developing a self-learning assistant that supports the distribution of information on construction sites!
- Dr. Wolff-Group | Customized Cosmetics – evolving a process for configuration and manufacturing of personalized skincare!
- Dr. Oetker | Ideation Bot – empowering employees with submitting and realizing innovative ideas!
- Miele (and Dr. Oetker) | Personalized Nutrition – enable personalized, sustainable, and practical meals in people’s everyday life!
- Piening Personal | Application Process – automated and personal application processes for companies and candidates!
Empowering through Mentoring
On Saturday the teams started their day with morning yoga, followed by insightful mentoring sessions with experts from a broad range of fields. It was amazing to see how the deep dive sessions empowered the 60 talents to work on possible solution and how our B2B startup ecosystem supported, as well: Former Attendees from our Startup School or Accelerator, Employees just as Hinterland of Things Conference supporter, and regional tech-enthusiasts:
- Hanne Hecker (Vice President Product Management, Virtual Solution AG)
- Dennis Cutraro (Co-Founder & COO, Valuedesk)
- Carla Külby (Director Ecosystem, Founders Foundation gGmbH)
- Jens Edler (Senior Project Manager, Digitalisierungsbüro Stadt Bielefeld)
- Bernhard Hecker (Co-Founder, value.digital)
- Martin Lawrence (Product and Development Lead, Zalando SE Gift Cards)
- Markus Sudhoff (Co-Founder & CEO, Climate Founders)
- Philip Teilmeier (Cloud Application Development Specialist, Microsoft)
- Karsten Eichenhofer (CSO, Zahnarzt-Helden)
- Stephan Jacquemot (Senior Advisor Founders Education, Founders Foundation gGmbH)
Later that day our Partnership Manager Simon Brakhage shared insights from our Founders Foundation Education Model in a pitch-training. The result of the two sessions: some teams were so thrilled that they kept on hacking until we had to close the Founders Home at 3am.
And the Winner is…
Sunday, after 48h of intense hacking, countless ideas, and about 10.000 sticky notes all teams pitched their idea in front of our expert jury consisting of Erman Aydin (Co-Founder & CEO – Prodaso, Hinterland Hack Alumni), Susanne Röber (Head of Digital Strategy and Transformation – Melitta), and Matthias Esdar (Head of Strategy – Otto Fuchs KG).
In the end, the Miele and Dr. Oetker challenge on enabling personalized nutrition ranked first. Congrats to the Nutrek team on their IoT cutlery solution. They worked hard on both – the technical challenges and the pitch. Their flexibility and range of use cases convinced the jury to select them as winners and hand over the award sponsored by Otto Fuchs KG. We’re looking forward to seeing their idea being implemented!
by Colin Matsinhe … working student at Brand & Content team and passionate about innovations ecosystems & entrepreneurship.